Saturday, June 26, 2010

RUG ADVENTURE

Just to prove that I have not been totally idle in the crafting department I have decided to post a picture of the rug I completed last week. It was made using the toothbrush method which was taught to me by a lovely lady named Rose in 1963 or '64. She and I worked in the cherry packing shed together. Toothbrush rugs are very easy to make and they go quite quickly. I like that they are reversible and can be thrown into the washing machine and the dryer. They are great for using up scrap fabric. I wasn't quite as happy with this rug as I was with the first one I made but I learned some things about fabric placement and the length of the beginning strip if trying for an oval shape. I will probably start another one soon as it is a good craft to work on while traveling.
Several people have asked me how I make these and I have found that it is much easier to show someone in person rather than trying to describe it in print. I have looked on line and have found some instructions and video tutorials but none that seem to do it exactly the way I do. The closest one to my method that I have been able to find is at this link: http://thelibrary.springfield.missouri.org/lochist/periodicals/bittersweet/sp81g.htm

If I can figure out a way to do it I will make a photo tutorial to see if it will be helpful for any who want to give toothbrush rugs a try.

Happy crafting,
Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment